Midlothian
Countries
Scotland
Scottish Counties
Aberdeenshire
Angus
Ayrshire
Argyll
Banffshire
Berwickshire
Caithnes
s
Clackmannanshire Dumfriesshire
Dunbartonshire
East Lothian
Fife
Inverness-shire
Kincardineshire
Kinross-shire
Kirkcudbrightshire Lanarkshire
Midlothian
Morayshire
Nairnshire
Peeblesshire
Perthshire
Renfrewshire
Roxburghshire
Selkirkshire
Stirlingshire
West Lothian
Wigtownshire
Scotland's Cities

Glasgow
Edinburgh

Scottish Islands

Arran
Coll
Iona
Islay
Jura
Lewis & Harris
Mull
Orkney
Skye
Tiree

Not sure where you are?
Find out on
The Mearnscraft Map

 


Midlothian

Click to see a larger picture

(Click on the picture to see a larger one)

Midlothian is regarded in some quarters as Scotland's senior county, presumably because it contained the nation's capital, Edinburgh.   The site of  "the Heart of Midlothian", the old Tolbooth, can today be seen clearly marked out in stone setts in Edinburgh's High Street and in the 19th century the county was sometimes referred to as "Edinburghshire".   To some considerable extent Edinburgh must have dominated the county as the other burghs were only of moderate size, although stoutly independent.

Midlothian is the home of Roslin (or Rosslyn) Chapel, an ornate, fantastically carved building which has far more than its fair share of legends. There's the Prentice Pillar, a column carved with such elaborate skill by an apprentice in the absence of his master who had returned to Italy that when the latter returned he was so envious that he immediately killed the unfortunate youth. Underneath the building is a vault that has apparently never been opened since it was sealed up 400 years ago. Legend has it that that vault and other secret hiding places may contain fantastic holy relics, including early gospels, the Holy Grail, the Stone of Destiny, even the mummified head of Christ.

While having its fair share of medieval castles, the county had a particularly generous share of country houses - by 1600 there were over a hundred of them within three miles of the city centre - and by the early 18th century the capital's lawyers, bankers and merchants had created an early commuter belt containing some very elegant villas.  And just to quell any dispute: the burgh of Musselburgh appears on our map of Midlothian because it was in the old county of Midlothian prior to 1975; only after the reorganisation of local government that year was the town transferred to East Lothian District.

Family names associated with Midlothian include Stewart, Dundas, Borthwick, Sinclair, Douglas, Ramsay, Graham and Kerr.

Our map of the county is stitched on Linda 27-count evenweave. It measures 15 x 10 inches (385 x 260 mm) and has 23 buildings, a sailing boat, place names, compass and crest.  Thirty-two shades of Anchor stranded cotton are included. The stitch count is 204 x 138.

Kit 26.95 UK pounds
Chartpack 12.99 UK pounds

Mearnscraft
87 Charleston Village, Forfar, Angus, Scotland.

Tel. (+44) (0)1307 840451

Contact us